New Transit Services Comes to South Whittier

On the morning of Saturday, January 21, Los Angeles County Supervisor Don Knabe will participate in the inaugural ride and dedication ceremony for the new South Whittier Shuttle Service. The new community shuttle will make stops at more than three dozen locations between the Whittwood Town Center and Sorensen Park. The service will also connect to other transit systems run by the MTA and other local cities.

This is a true milestone for the South Whittier community, said Supervisor Knabe. We are adding a valuable service for hundreds of families, workers and residents who will be able to access this shuttle service.

The $811,225 contract cost to fund the route will be spilt between two sources. 75 percent, or a little over $600,000, was approved by Supervisor Knabe from his Proposition A transit funds. The remaining 25 percent was contributed by Supervisor Gloria Molina. An additional $400,000 was appropriated by Congresswoman Linda Sanchez for the purchase of the two 29-seat, propane powered buses that will be used on the route.

The shuttle dedication will happen as part of a larger transit fair Saturday morning at the Community Resource Center at 10750 Laurel Avenue in South Whittier.

The transit fair begins at 9 a.m. with the actual dedication ceremony starting at 10:30 a.m.

The first week of shuttle service will be free to the public. After January 18, rides will cost 25 cents per trip. More information about the shuttle is available online at