Los Angeles County Supervisor Don Knabe announced the return of the Marina del Rey Summer Concert Series, presented free to the public, in Marina del Rey’s Burton Chace Park at 13650 Mindanao Way. The annual series features classical concerts on alternating Thursdays and internationally famed pop and jazz artists every other Saturday. The 2011 schedule includes:
- July 7: The 75-member Marina del Rey Summer Symphony, conducted by Frank Fetta with finalists from the famed Loren L. Zachary National Vocal Competition, presents “A Night at the Opera” with various arias.
- July 21: Naoko Takada plays marimba along with the Marina del Rey Summer Symphony with a medley of songs written by composers Gershwin, Hansen, Puts and Grofe.
- August 4: Lindsay Deutsch appears as violin soloist with Maestro Fetta and the Orchestra performing Bernstein and Korngold selections.
- August 18: Maestro Fetta welcomes back Claire Huangci with her stunning renditions of Ravel, Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev favorites.
Host of the classical series is popular radio personality Rich Capparela of KUSC-Classical FM 91.5.
- July 16: Oleta Adams in her debut performance at Burton Chace Park.
- July 30: Tito Puente, Jr., son of the late percussion and Latin jazz royalty Tito Puente, brings his passionate Afro-Cuban rhythms to the stage in a tribute to his father.
- August 13: Singer/songwriter Aimee Mann plays her hit songs on acoustic guitar.
- August 27: Movie star and legendary recording sensation Frankie Avalon sings his classic hits.
“The County is pleased to announce the return of the incredibly popular summer concert series to Marina del Rey,” said Supervisor Don Knabe. “Through the generous support of our partners, we invite residents from across the County to enjoy world-class music in a beautiful waterside setting.”
Sponsors of the Marina del Rey Summer Concerts are Supervisor Don Knabe, Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors; The Department of Beaches and Harbors; Yamaha Pianos; The Ritz-Carlton Marina del Rey; and KUSC Classical FM 91.5.
Hornblower Café in Burton Chace Park is open for sunset dining on concert nights with chairs available for rent at the concert site for a minimal fee.
Concertgoers can take the WaterBus from seven Marina locations directly to and from the concert site, or catch the land-based Beach Shuttle, which will operate with special hours to and from Burton Chace Park on concert nights. Parking is available at County lots # 4 and # 77 on Mindanao Way, or lot # 5 on Bali Way.