Supervisor Don Knabe has secured $428,250 in the County’s 2006-2007 Budget to fund 24-hour staffing for Los Angeles County Lifeguards at Baywatch Cabrillo in San Pedro. The LA Harbor will now have 24 hour lifeguard coverage; this is important in case of an emergency (i.e. terrorist problem, air crash, problem on a cruise ship, etc.)
Specifically, Baywatch Cabrillo will assume more search and rescue responsibilities from the United States Coast Guard, allowing the Coast Guard to commit more time and resources to ensuring the the security of the nation’s and world’s fifth largest port complex. The Baywatch Cabrillo crew will be actively patrolling the area to hopefully minimize any potential maritime incidents. The crew will also be receiving special equipment and training from the Coast Guard.
"This additional manpower is absolutely critical to ensuring that our ports are secure," said Supervisor Knabe. "In addition to helping with homeland security, the Baywatch Cabrillo will be providing 24 Hour emergency response to the Palos Verdes and San Pedro coastlines.
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors has unanimously approved a $10,000 reward today for information related to the stabbing death of Norwalk resident, Manuel Marquez, at the request of Supervisor Don Knabe.
On Monday, October 23, 2006, Marquez was found beaten and stabbed to death in his home at 12005 Pioneer Boulevard, in the City of Norwalk. The victim was last seen alive on Friday evening and was discovered by his girlfriend on Monday. Marquez was a family man and a business owner.
"This was a savage and heinous murder, said Supervisor Knabe. We need to find those responsible for the death of Mr. Marquez, and it is my hope that this reward will help lead to new information and ultimately an arrest.
Any person having any information related to this crime is asked to contact Detective Karen Lee Shonka of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department – Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5621.
The successes of nine-year-old boxing prodigy Moises mighty Mo Orozco will be recognized and honored by Los Angeles County Supervisor Don Knabe at the Board of Supervisors meeting on Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 9:30 a.m.
Mighty Mo is not only a straight-A student from Long Beach, but he has also scored several top honors in the boxing ring, despite his young age.
Mighty Mo was the surprise participant at the recent 4th Annual Desert Showdown Invitational Amateur Boxing tournament, taking top honors in the 60-pound division. Not only did Orozco capture his division, but the Desert Showdown was also the first tournament he had ever entered. The five-day tournament is the largest amateur competition in the Southwest.
So far in 2006, Orozco has also captured the Junior Olympics 60-pound championship, the Junior Golden Gloves 65-pound championship, and the Ringside World 65-pound championship. Orozco is undefeated in 2006 and is currently preparing for his first Silver Gloves Tournament, scheduled for this November. He is also planning to travel to Maui in the near future to compete against their local champion.
‘Mighty Mo’ has shown that he’s a terrific athlete, considering he’s received less than two years of formal training, but he’s also excelled as an outstanding student, said Supervisor Knabe. I’m proud to recognize the many accomplishments he’s achieved at such an early age.
A state-of-the-art lifeguard and paramedic headquarters building will soon be built in the city of Avalon. Construction moved one step closer to reality today when the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors voted to accept a donated piece of land by the City of Avalon for the building to be constructed on.
The Avalon Lifeguard facility will also have one unique feature among all of the County’s similar buildings. This will be the first to include dormitory space for workers. County lifeguards are on-call for 24-hour periods, meaning that anyone stationed in Avalon would need to secure to housing in the City’s small and expensive housing market. With the new building, workers will be able to complete their shifts with out having to acquire housing off-site.
The structure will include administrative offices, staff housing and equipment storage. Construction will begin later this year, and the station is expected to be ready no sooner than September 2007.
Chairman of the County of Los Angeles Board of Supervisors Don Knabe announced plans to contract for improvements to Scott Avenue, between Mulberry Drive and Leffingwell Road, in the vicinity of Whittier. Improvements will include reconstruction of roadway pavement, curb, gutter, sidewalk, driveways, and cross gutters; construction of curb ramps and masonry retaining walls; root pruning and planting of parkway trees; and modification of traffic signals. This project is part of Public Works’ ongoing construction and maintenance program to improve highway facilities for the traveling public.
The County Department of Public Works will open bids May 11 on a contract to perform the work.
Work is expected to take 75 working days, with an estimated start in August and completion in November. Once work begins, the left-turn lane on Leffingwell Road that allows traffic to turn on to Scott Avenue may be closed. Scott Avenue and all other project streets at their intersection with Scott Avenue may be closed to through traffic during daylight working hours. Local access will be maintained at all times.
Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors Chair Don Knabe has announced Board approval of a $1.3 million contract with LNI Custom Manufacturing, Inc., of Hawthorne, for the installation of solar-powered bus stop shelters at various bus stops around the County, including in the vicinity of Whittier.
Work will include the installation of non-advertising solar-powered bus stop shelters and solar light poles and related work. This is part of the County’s ongoing program for the construction and maintenance of transit facilities, and will improve the bus stops while reducing reliance on purchased electricity.
The County Department of Public Works received six bids on the project. The highest bid was $2.3 million. Grants from Caltrans and the MTA as well as Proposition A Local Return Transit Funds will finance the project cost.
Public Works expects the project to be completed in 60 working days, with an estimated start this month June and completion in July.